Part-time Helpdesk Role
(Remote, 6-8 hours/week)
Abortion Support South Africa is a non-profit provider of digital abortion information and referrals for medical abortion. If you need an abortion you can visit our website and answer a few questions. We’ll connect you to a partner doctor who will assess your eligibility and prescribe abortion pills. You can pick up your medication at a nearby pharmacy and safely manage your abortion at home.
We are looking for a part-time helpdesk member to join our team and help women in South Africa access safe abortion services.
- Providing confidential and compassionate support to women and pregnant people seeking abortion help.
- Responding to email and chat abortion information requests, handling requests for access to safe abortion and referring requests to partner doctors.
- Maintaining your knowledge on medical abortion, the service and abortion in the South African context. Helpdesk members are trained prior to start and offered additional training periodically.
- Attending weekly helpdesk meetings.
Location: This is a remote role. Location in South Africa is preferred.
Time Commitment: 2 hours per day for 3 days a week.
Reimbursement: ZAR 76/hr gross.
Start date: 15 February 2024.
- Excellent oral and written English language skills.
- A personal computer and smartphone, in good working order.
- Access to high speed reliable private wifi. It is important that your wifi connection is not affected by loadshedding i.e your wifi is supported by an inverter or solar.
- Computer literacy including experience with email, Zoom, Google Drive, Microsoft Office and Adobe Acrobat.
- A team player who is also able to work independently within established protocols.
- Attention to detail (necessary when assisting doctors and following protocols).
- Problem solving skills and flexibility to adapt to changes.
- Integrity and reliability for the handling of confidential client information.
- Service oriented, tact, good listener, desire to support people in a feminist way.
- Prior knowledge of sexual and reproductive health and/or healthcare is desirable.
If you are interested in working with us please complete this form by 31 January 2023 midnight. You will need a gmail account to upload your documentation.
Please note that only shortlisted applicants will be contacted. Shortlisted applications will be invited to complete a short set of tasks followed by an interview via Zoom.
For questions you can contact firstname.lastname@example.org.